Friday 31 May 2013

The Underdogs Strike Back



Palace were most definitely the underdogs on Monday nights play-off game against Watford due to the unfortunate absence of Glen Murray, who scored thirty spectacular goals earlier in the season. The game ended 0-0 after full time which was a surprise as Palace played brilliantly throughout. Watford had the pressure from being the favourites which resulted in countless misses and poor touches.

I was amazed at the first sighting of Wembley Stadium as I approached because I had never been before. Walking down Wembley way the atmosphere was buzzing with both teams fans. I arrived at my seat and was a complete nervous wreck, one because of Palace and two because of the steep stairs I had just climbed! The more the game developed the more ill I felt…


At half time I was more content than before the game because of Palace’s fantastic performance. Palace had about seven or eight chances which either bobbled over the post or fell into the grateful hands of Manuel Almunia, the Watford goalkeeper. The second half was even more eventful with the first amazing one handed save from Julian Speroni, the Crystal Palace goalkeeper. The game ended 0-0 at full time.


Therefore the most dreaded moment of any football fan followed…extra time. At this moment I was praying for a goal from Palace so that we didn’t have to go to penalties like the ones we went through at the Carling cup semi-finals against Cardiff last year. Luckily we were given the thing that Adrian Durham and other footy fans have been moaning about…A PENALTY!! This originated from Wilfred Zaha’s beautiful foot skills and the panic of Marco Cassetti due to Wilf putting pressure on Watford’s defence.


I hope with all my heart that Palace can stay in the Premier League but if we cannot then what a season the Eagles have had!!





Debut article and YouTube clip for The Eagles Beak by Daniel Crame (@HiFlyingEagle)

No comments:

Post a Comment